Unix Teaching System Updates: 18 Apr 2002
A page about Mindterm (a way to access the department via a browser)
has been installed. See
The central printing service is being migrated from a Unix lpd service
on print1.eng.cam.ac.uk to CUPS (the Common UNIX Printing System) - see
http://print2.eng.cam.ac.uk:631/documentation.html for details. This
will provide greater flexibility in terms of the options supported on a
per printer basis and better interfaces for Unix and Windows printing.
Client systems can either retain their existing setup (eg user
interface lp or lpr command) or install the CUPS client software.
Ping: it is now a requirement of the University that machines on
the network should respond to ping (ICMP echo requests) - see
"Attachment of Systems to the Department's Network" final bullet point.
- New WWW pages - there are new pages on "Producing PDF files from Word",
"Using GLUT", and various C++, LaTeX, Matlab and Unix features.
- There will be 2 computing talks in the Easter Term, both in LT0
at 3pm -
- 26th April "LaTeX for Report Writing - aimed mostly at 4th years
- 3rd May "Advanced LaTeX" - customising, slides and PDF production.
Teaching System News
- The twa machine on the teaching system has been discontinued. tw9 has
- Reminder: telnet support on the teaching system has been
discontinued. Use ssh. See the help system page for details.
- xlock has been installed on the teaching system
Date: 18 Apr 2002 13:13:37 GMT
Tim Love (firstname.lastname@example.org)