041 Cambridge University Engineering Department - MATLAB - Frequently Asked Questions on Licensing at CUED
Search Contact information
University of Cambridge Home Department of Engineering
University of Cambridge >  Engineering Department >  computing help

MATLAB - Frequently Asked Questions on Licensing at CUED

This page does not have any technical information on MATLAB. It is mainly to deal with the questions that arise regarding licensing of MATLAB within the Engineering Department.

  • Q1.1 : What MATLAB Licenses are available at the Engineering Department?
  • The list of TLBXs in these two categories are mutually exclusive. Nevertheless these can be used in conjunction with each other in computers which are connected to department's network. However reserved licenses which is part of the additional concurrent departmental licences are not available for general use.

    The additinal concurrent licenses cannot be used on their own as it does not have the Basic MATLAB.

    The TAH license form the basis of the MATLAB Usage and the additional Departmental concurrent license supplements it.

  • Q1.2 : Who can use the TAH MATLAB Licenses that are available at the Engineering Department?
  • Any member of the department can use the TAH License on computers which are connected to and part of the department's computer network.

    Members of staff and postgraduate students can also use the TAH license in standlone mode ie not connected to the network in their personal computers (laptops).

    Undergraduates can only use it on computers which are part of the departmental network. They can also use it on any PWF which is part of the colleges. However they are not allowed to have MATLAB licensed by the department in their personal computers.

  • Q1.3 : I am an undergraduate. Why cannot I use the departmental licensed MATLAB on my laptop which is connected to the university network?
  • The usage of MATLAB on undergraduates personal computers is covered by a separte TAH Student Campus License. At present the department and the university do not subscribe to this scheme.

  • Q1.4 : I am a fourth year project student. I need to use MATLAB extensively what are the options that are available?
  • Check with your college to see whether any PWF (Public Workstation Facility) which have MATLAB installed.

    Alternatively remote login to the departmental computers and run MATLAB on the cluster servers.

    If you feel your project work could be affected adversly you should talk to your project supervisor in the first instance.

  • Q1.5 : How can I get MATLAB installed on a laptop to use it in standalone mode?
  • You need to be a member of staff or a postgraduate of the department.

    To start with the computer has to be connected to the departmental network to enable the licensing. Once this is done it can be used in stand-alone mode.

    The steps involved are as follows :

    Once this is done MATLAB can be used either connected to the network or in standalone mode.

    Note that the concurrent licenses for additional TLBXs can only be used while the computer is connected to the departmental network.

  • Q1.6 : Can I use the additional concurrent TLBX licenses in standalone mode?
  • No these cannot be used in standalone mode only in the networked mode.

    You need to purchase from Mathworks and additional TLBX license to use it in standalone mode.

  • Q1.7 : How do I get the standard version of MATLAB installed in a PC?
    1. You can put in a request to pc-support@eng.cam.ac.uk requesting MATLAB to be installed in a networked computer in the department.

      Give details of the computer (select the platform/OS from the following options)

      Also include the location of the computer and when it is convenient to install it.

    2. If you want to install it yourself then contact the Computer Operators to see whether they have loan copies available for borrowing.
    3. pjb1008@eng.cam.ac.uk has set up a facility for installation over the network.

      From the PC, Start -----> Run and in the dialogue box marked Open enter : \\diva-appserv\windows and click on the OK button to start the process.

  • Q1.8 : I have a standalone computer (Laptop) and I want to install MATLAB. Can I use the departmental licenses to run it?
  • Distributed Computing Costs

    Purchase & Maintenance Costs
    Total No. of Processors in Cluster 8 16 32 64 96 128
    Purchase Cost - First Year (GBP) Add VAT 1,500 2,750 5,000 8,750 11,500 15,000
    Maintenance Costs - Subsequent Years (GBP) Add VAT 300 550 1,000 1,750 2,300 3,000

    MATLAB Distributed Computing Server Academic Price List (January 2010)

  • Q1.29 : I am installing MATLAB and I have followed the instructions and have managed to install MATLAB. However when I try to run it it is asking for an Activation key?
  • The networked departmental license does not have an Activation Key and does not require an Activation Key. It only requires the Installation Key.

    However a stand-alone installation of matlab (after being installed using the installation key) will require the license to be activated. This needs to be done only once and will require a Activation key.

    Activation key can be found in Activation Codes

  • Q1.30 : How do I uninstall a MATLAB TLBX which I have un-intentionally installed?
  • The following link explains how to uninstall a MATLAB TLBX :

    How to uninstall a MATLAB TLBX

    © Cambridge University Engineering Dept
    Information provided by comp-admin@eng
    Last updated 18 September 2011