X-win32 is no longer provided by CUED. The department now uses Xming
A full manual for Xwin32 can be downloaded from Starnet
- Configuring Xwin32 to use Engineering department machines
- Use XDMCP.
- Under X-Config - Sessions - Manual
- Connect Method - XDMCP
- Session Name - x-access
- XDMCP Mode - Query
- Host name - x-access.eng.cam.ac.uk
- This should make a connection to our machine gate when used.
- Under X-Config - Window tick Multiple.
- Under X-Config - Font - Add Font Server - Host - font-serv.eng.cam.ac.uk (This will give access to fonts not in the default Xwin list)
- NOTE - Font Server is not available for users outside the Department.
IMPORTANT - SECURITY FIX
Under X-Config - Security - add the name of your computer. If you have nothing there, then your machine is vulnerable to snooping from elsewhere and becomes a security risk.
- Running X-Win from outside the Department
- You will need the program Putty
- Start Xwin
- Start Putty.
- Click SSH
- Click Tunnels on left hand menu.
- Click Local Ports accept connections from other hosts
- Click X11
- Click Enable X11 forwarding
- Under Xdisplay Location :-
- Click Session on left hand menu
- Under host name put :-
- Click ssh
- Click Open
- Login in to gate
- Type xterm &
- an xterm should appear on the Xwin screen.